LONDON — Prince Charles said Thursday that he was “lucky” that he “got away quite lightly” with coronavirus and said his experience has made him even more determined to work on ways to fix the planet so we can avoid future pandemics.
The 71-year-old prince tested positive for the disease in March and suffered from mild symptoms. He went into isolation at his home in Scotland with his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who tested negative for the infection.
In a video call with Sky News, the prince, who is next-in-line to the British throne, expressed sympathy for people who had lost loved ones during the global health crisis that has claimed almost 40,000 lives in Britain.
“I feel particularly for those who have lost their loved ones and have been unable to be with them at the time. That, to me, is the most ghastly thing,” he said.
In the interview, the prince spoke about the loss of biodiversity and the need to combat climate change to prevent other global health crises.
“We should have been treating the planet as if it was a patient long ago,” he said.
The prince’s positive test result sparked widespread concern for reigning monarch Queen Elizabeth II, over fears she may have been exposed to the virus.
The queen and her husband, 98-year-old Prince Philip, were driven out of London to Windsor Castle on March 19, where they have been isolated since. Earlier this week she was photographed for the first time — smiling and riding a black pony.